A while back, after reading an article by one of my favorite homeschool mothers, Diane Hopkins, I decided to make a list of the long term goals I wanted my boys to accomplish and long term values for them to learn and shape their character by. After moving into our new house, and finding myself wanting to de-junk so desperately, I did a thorough organization of the new library in our home knowing that this room would be the most used and loved room in the house. I got a huge box and started throwing away anything that I considered "junk". I found I had wasted a lot of money on needless things for our homeschool, but found that when I would come across a favorite lesson book or reading book, I would treat it like gold, unfolding the bent pages and hoping it would last many more years for the next children to use. I imagined their little minds getting lost in these great books like mine did when I was a young girl. I imagined the journeys they would embark while reading Treasure Island, Little Women, The Indian in the Cupboard, Little House on the Prairie, and Louis L'amour's extensive collection as I unpacked the books and set them in their new place on the bookshelf.
I came across a folder that had written on it, "Things I want my boys and girls to learn in homeschool". I opened it and found the list I had made years ago when my oldest was still a baby. This was more than gold to me. I am so glad I had kept this folder. I thought I would share with you some of the things I wrote down that were important to me.
1. He has a strong testimony
2. He is respectful of authority and his elders
3. He can read very well
4. He is socially at ease
5. He has a positive influence on others
6. He knows how to find information that he doesn't know
7. He can accompany hymns on the piano
8. He can mend his shirt/pants if needed
9. He can build his own home when the time comes
10. He holds doors open for women and children
11. He can iron his own shirt
.
.
20. He can change the oil in a car, fix a flat tire, charge a battery
21. He can find a stud in a wall
22. He can speak another language
23. He reads his scriptures daily
24. He can make and accomplish personal goals
25. He is willing to serve and help others
26. He can cook at least three meals (other than from a can)
27. He is honest
.
.
40. He has a thorough understanding of his American History and Family Heritage
41. He is a leader
and it goes on and on.
For Her:
many of the same things are repeated for her, but I did jot down some different things that I thought were important for girls to know
1. She has a strong testimony
.
.
20. She can cut hair
21. She can bake bread
22. She can sew clothing if needed
23. She can tie and bind a quilt
24. She can make a bottle
25. She knows what to do for a fever, rash, and a cold
26. She can bottle and preserve food for her family
.
.
and the list goes on and on as well
I am so glad I wrote these things down, and more importantly, found them again. It helps remind me of the things I need to put in priority when I set out each day to teach and train my children. What a blessing it is to be able to teach my children! I learn something new every single day!
Aug 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







3 comments:
great list. I need to do a list like that. It really would help me remember those things that are most needful so I don't get lost in the less important STuff.
Hi, I am a friend of Echo's out in Hawaii. I wanted to tell you, that I find your blog very helpful with my adventures in mommy-hood, homeschooling and being me. I enjoyed this list. I did however was Very interested in the things that you threw out and found was NOT useful to homeschooling. My oldest is in Kindergarten and I am just a beginner at homeschooling. I would love to know the things that you found were NOT useful. Thanks
rachel
Rachel,
Thanks for looking at our blog!
It's always good to meet another fellow homeschooler! I'm sorry it has taken me so long to check up on here. I have been very sick with this pregnancy and haven't been as diligent with this blog as I probably should be.
I LOVE the 'Christian Liberty Nature Readers'. I bought mine from ldfr.com
They are little story books for younger kids to learn about animals and the way they live. Me and my boys love to cuddle up on our recliner and I read a chapter or two out loud to them. If your kids are anything like mine, they LOVE learning about worms, spiders, bees, crabs, etc.
I also really like the 'Pathway' books. Especially the first couple. 'Before We Read'. I also got these from ldfr.com
I have tried the Saxon Math and like it fairly well. Although, I will be looking for something different this next year. I like it, but it is a bit too repetitive. (we skip a lot of pages). But, sometimes it's nice for them to get the practice in.
I suggest giving it a try yourself and seeing if you like it. only buy the work books though for the first couple years. I found that you DO NOT need to spend the money on the parent/teacher manual for addition and subtraction. It costs way too much for something any parent can teach a kid.
uuumm, let's see, I know there are more. I will have to write about them later though. I can hear a quarrel going on with my boys. I better go see what's up.
Thanks for your questions!
I will try to do better about checking and updating this blog. :)
Boston
Post a Comment